All members will be receiving a NEW FEA Access/membership card in January
Why should you join?
Florida is a “right to work” state. That means that membership in the union that represents you at the bargaining table is not automatic. In other words, everyone can enjoy the benefits of our collective bargaining agreement without paying dues. However, your membership in our union allows you the benefit of our contract and much, much more. Most importantly it contributes to PRBSU’s collective voice, making us all more effective. It gives you a voice to advocate for yourself and your colleagues, whether meeting in Labor/Management talks, serving on committees, advocating with the state legislature or negotiating your Collective Bargaining Agreement. There is strength in numbers! Our collective strength will come back to you in increased salary and improved working conditions.
In addition, PRBSU’s respective local provides a number of specific benefits that are only for dues-paying members and their families. These include:
As a member, you are eligible to receive your locals representation should you need to file a grievance. You also have the right to representation in any meeting with a supervisor that you feel may result in disciplinary action. Non-members must either represent themselves or hire outside legal assistance. This is a benefit that can potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees.
A voice in defining priorities and plans
PRBSU’s locals are led by its members. We define our plans and priorities collegially and democratically. As a member, you have a say in all matters concerning your local, including how we negotiate our contract, how we defend employee rights and due process, and who represents us as officers.
PRBSU’s affiliation with the Florida Education Association and our national affiliates entitles members to discounts in a host of services and goods, large and small. Here are some highlights:
• Insurance: a full range of discounted products, including life, home, auto, renter's, long-term care, catastrophic medical, veterinary, dental and vision. They also receive $1,000,000 complimentary professional liability insurance; $1,000 complimentary life insurance; $5,000 complimentary accidental death insurance. New members receive $15,000 complimentary life insurance for one year.
• Legal assistance: two free 30-minute legal consultations per year on non-work related matters (such as wills and estate planning, traffic matters, real estate, and family law) and up to a 30% discount for legal work performed.
• Financial: special rates and reduced closing costs on loans, including mortgage, home equity, personal, student loans, and credit cards
• Shopping: discounts on flowers, books, computers, wireless phone service, tax preparation, movie tickets, and more
• Travel: discounts on travel-related products and services, including purchases of union-made cars, car rentals, moving vans, hotels, vacation packages, theme park admissions, and Motor Club membership
To explore these and other member benefits, visit Florida Education Association Member Benefits (FEA); National Education Association Member Benefits (NEA); American Federation of Teachers Member Benefits (AFT); Union Plus Discounts & Benefits for Union Families (AFL-CIO)
A Message from Liberty Mutual Insurance
FEA partners exclusively with Liberty Mutual to help employees save $509 or more on auto insurance.* Call 855-514-6787 or visit Liberty Mutual to get a free quote.
*Average annual savings based on countrywide survey of new customers from 8/1/15 to 8/1/16 who reported saving from prior premiums when they switched to Liberty Mutual. Savings comparison does not apply in MA.
Creative Benefits for Educators is owned by locals of the Florida Education Association and was created to make it easy for teachers and school employees to find the best insurance, retirement and financial programs available.